EC - Grade 8
School Counseling Services Dock Mennonite Academy: EC-Grade 8
Learning for Lives of Purpose
Our school counselor is a trained educator with a mental health perspective who assists students with school-related issues and other developmental needs by:
- Counseling students individually and in groups
- Consulting with teachers, parents and the principal
- Coordinating referrals with resources and counselors outside of school
- Conducting classroom activities related to guidance needs
- Serving on our Student Support Team
Why might a student see the school counselor?
- To develop problem-solving skills
- To learn stress-management techniques
- To learn strategies for effective social skills
- To build up self-esteem
- To talk about fears, worries, or other concerns hindering the learning process
How is counseling set up?
- Students may ask to see the counselor
- Parents, teachers or the principal may request counselor involvement.
- The counselor may initiate contact
If your child is invited to participate in group counseling, the counselor will send home a permission slip and a letter describing the group’s purpose.