Dock Mennonite Academy is in its 6th year of a 1:1 program at the high school level.
Each student has access to an iPad provided by the school, but can opt out and use a suitable personal device. Freshmen through Juniors have an iPad Pro 9.7 inch space gray (compatible with apple Pencil). Seniors have an iPad Air 2. Students who continue through 12th grade can keep the iPad upon graduation free of charge.
Students\families are responsible to purchase a keyboard equipped case for the iPad. Look for a case that includes a keyboard, provides strong corner protection, and fits securely over the iPad. We recommend a Zagg Rugged Book case.
Students can opt to use a personal iPad instead of the school issued one, or another suitable mobile device such as a personal laptop, Chromebook, or other type of tablet. Smartphones are NOT a suitable replacement for an iPad, as cell phone use is restricted in classrooms.
Insurance covering a single iPad repair or replacement is included in tuition. iPads must be kept in a suitable case to be covered by this insurance. Insurance does not cover loss or damage to charging cables, or obvious cases of neglect. iPads lost due to theft or fire will be covered with submission of a police report.
The general format for student Google accounts is the students first initial, full last name, 2 digit graduation year, followed by @dock.academy. Example: email@example.com. There are some exceptions.
Our Student information system is Schoology Enterprise, which provides an online portal to students and families. There is a parent information sheet in your packets with parent access codes and instructions for setting up Schoology accounts. With this account you will be able to access current grades, attendance, assignments, announcements, and other class related material, as well as signing up for reports. Students will have their own Schoology access account. It is beneficial to have a parent account that is separate from the student account.
Our School management System is PowerSchool, which generates report cards, manages permanent grades and student information, attendance data, and transcripts. Families and students do not have direct access to PowerSchool information online. Grade information is synchronized between Schoology and PowerSchool.
The iPad you receive at New Family Orientation has been preconfigured with the student wireless access and a school Google Account. Student Username is labeled on the back at the bottom. Please do not remove this label as it helps identify the owner.
What to do between now and your first day:
1. Sign the iPad in with a personal iTunes account. You can use an account you already have, a family shared account, or create a new account. You do not have to share passwords, payment information, etc for this account with the school. A link to paid apps for school use (Notability) will be sent out via e-mail to student Google accounts. NOTE: all iTunes accounts must be US based accounts, otherwise, some school apps will not function properly.
2. Make sure you have "find my iPad" and backup enabled to protect your information.
3. Once you have created an iTunes account and signed your iPad in to it, go to the App Store and download the following Apps to your iPad. Schoology, Notability*, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and any other apps you would like to install from the catalog.
4. Login Instructions for your Schoology account, connecting additional devices to the campus wireless, and activating your Office365 account are contained in your student packets.
5. You may optionally add personal e-mail accounts to your iPad. However, keep the school account on the iPad, as that is the primary account you are expected to use for communicating with teachers and the school.
6. Choose wisely what apps and services you choose to install on the school owned iPad. This technology is intended to be used as a tool to enhance education, rather than entertain or distract.
Feel free to contact me with any questions you have.
Congratulations on joining the Dock community, and I hope you have an excellent start to the year. See you Thursday.
Director of Technology
EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org GOOGLE: email@example.com